Researching in Georgia - Taliaferro, Toliver, Lawrence, Brewer, Askew, Dorsey, Jackson, Poole, Butler, Allen, Gilbert, Crawford, Middlebrooks, Gates, Parks, Thompson, Alford, Favors, Guise, and related surnames.



08 November 2009

Blogger’s Block

I am struggling trying to write something to post here on my blog. After only a few months since the debut of my blog, I have Blogger’s Block. I am in a writer’s rut; I am experiencing brain freeze. It is not for a lack of research problems that's for sure. My research is surrounded by brick walls with no signs of a breakthrough. Every corner I turn is a dead end. As a blogger, I am lost in a sea of bloggers who always seem to have something to say and write about. I am inspired by their words, but can find no inspiration of my own. I am a writer with no words; an editor with nothing to edit. I am a perfectionist with nothing to perfect. I am a blogger with nothing to blog. I have Blogger’s Block.

Yesterday I read, The Value of Networking with your Peers, the discussion started by Angela Walton-Raji in African Ancestored Genealogy on Genealogy Wise. Angela urged us to network, to find mentors among ourselves, and challenged us to become experts in our own area of research. I am inspired and motivated by her words. Over at Our Georgia Roots, my friend Luckie Daniels’ latest post, So Thankful..., was both moving and inspirational. I am thankful to call Luckie a friend; I am always encouraged by her words and research knowledge. Felicia at My Nola Heritage is hot on the trail of something big, and I am anxiously awaiting her news. Felicia has been relentless in her search for the slave owner of her Georgia ancestors. I am inspired by her tenacity. Michael Hait has taken on the challenge of putting up at least one post a day during the month of November. Michael’s African American Genealogical Examiner articles are always well-written and informative; his tips inspire me to become a better researcher and to view sources with a more informed and analytical eye. Renate of Into The Light (formerly Just Thinking), another new kid on the blog scene, is moving to another level in her research and blogging, and thus, was inspired to give her blog a new name. All of them and many others inspire and motivate me with their words and their dedication to genealogy. I read, I learn, I absorb, and I am INSPIRED.


I know this is not a permanent state - This Too Shall Pass. My research continues- the brick walls will fall, the ideas will form, and the words will return. In the meantime, I am still here and loving every minute of the journey. I will not be defeated by Blogger’s Block.
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra,

    We all go through this. I found out that if I write for ME - my research, my problem children, my finds - that others are interested and supportive. Your research techniques may be just what someone else needs to read. Plus, somebody else may find your work in a Google search and contact you with fmaily information. Put your families on your blog - write about each of them, and especially the ones you are struggling with. We all have research problems - it's the one constant in our research! Every person added to our tree creates two more persons to find!

    All the best -- Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra

    Join the club. The way I avoid writer's block is to create a blogging calendar. When the juices are flowing, I create posts and keep them in draft. Then as long as they are not time-sensitive, I can publish them when I need them. And no one needs to know I've really taken the day off!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra~
    What a wonderful post and thank you for sharing this. So many of us are here for each other and are supportive. As Mavis said, "You are not alone" Reading other blogs, particpating in the daily blogging themes (check Geneabloggers for daily themes) and as Thomas suggested, an editorial calendar has help me so much. Angela Walton-Rajii - The Value of Networking with your peers was an excellent article and she said it perfectly! She is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger's Block happens to everyone from time to time. When I'm out of ideas, I post a picture from my collection and talk about it. I always have pictures in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra, I just picked you for the "Kreativ Bloggers Award" please stop by my blog and pick it up. Congratulations, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my Friend I guess you can see that you are not alone -- we are all right there with you!:-)

    I too feel "blocked" from time to time. My remedy -- I just wait for the Ancestors to direct me or life events to motivate me. There is nothing wrong with "pausing" & taking a minute to process.

    Remember, this is your blog, your way -- you right the rules. The only standard to follow is the one you set!:-)

    Thanks for thinking of me... I was surprised to see my name pop-up there!

    Luckie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks y'all for all the suggestions on overcoming Blogger's Block. I knew this was not unique, but it's good to have that confirmed and know that others go through the same thing at some time or another.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your Blogger's Block. Like the other comments, we do run into brick walls from time to time. However, we have a way of expressing/sharing knowledge that uplift and help others on their journey. Your story has certainly given me insight and another path to journey down. I need to get to work on my blog now:)

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete