Researching in Georgia - Taliaferro, Toliver, Lawrence, Brewer, Askew, Dorsey, Jackson, Poole, Butler, Allen, Gilbert, Crawford, Middlebrooks, Gates, Parks, Thompson, Alford, Favors, Guise, and related surnames.



23 September 2009

John Robert Taliaferro - The Whole Story


























Last week for Wordless Wednesday I posted a picture of my grandfather John Robert Taliaferro with the following source note: From: Arthur Bunyan Caldwell, ed., History Of The American Negro And His Institutions, Georgia Edition (Atlanta: A. B. Caldwell Publishing Co.,1917), 353 It did not occur to me to post the entire article from the book because it was "Wordless" Wednesday. My intention was only to give credit for the source of the photo.

Well, several people were curious and actually googled the book and read the entire feature. My friend over at Our Georgia Roots, encouraged me to step outside the box, make my own rules, and write as much as I want or need to write regardless of theme. Luckie continues to inspire me to become a better researcher, and to be more diligent in documenting my family history. So, I decided to post the entire biography of John Robert Taliaferro from the book History Of The American Negro And His Institutions, Georgia Edition. The book features African Americans who were making significant contributions to their communities, and who otherwise may not have been recognized or even known. As the title implies, there were also editions for other states, including South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington D.C., and West Virginia. There were a total of seven volumes the Georgia edition was two volumes. If you had ancestors in any of these states, I would encourage you to seek out these books. Unfortunately, the books are very rare and not readily available. The Georgia edition has been digitized and is available online.

The article on my grandfather was sent to me by my cousin back in 2005. It was her way of sharing some family history with me. Thinking back on my first reading of the article, I felt as if I was sitting at my grandfather's feet listening to him give me an account of his life up to that point in time. I was AMAZED at the amount of history on those few pages. A researcher’s dream!! I am posting the scanned pages from the original book a copy of which is in the possession of my cousin. It is literally falling apart, but is still a treasured family heirloom.


**Note: Click on each page image to enlarge.

3 comments:

  1. Addendum:The South Carolina edition is available online at:

    http://www.archive.org/details/historyofamerica03

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful ~ definitely a researcher's dream! As for "Wordless" Wednesday, there are a number of us that prefer to call it "Wordy" Wednesday. I can rarely be Wordless (ask anyone who knows me!!) Sometime I call my post "Not so Wordless Wednesday" - just make it fit for you!

    Thanks for sharing this find - it makes a great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, Sandra. I've run across the digital versions of that book often in my research, and I always try to check the passages about my g-grandfather's cohorts carefully, for any mention of him, but so far, nothing.

    Looks like you come from good stock, huh? (Actually, I believe we all do.)

    Nice post!
    Renate

    ReplyDelete