Researching in Georgia - Taliaferro, Toliver, Lawrence, Brewer, Askew, Dorsey, Jackson, Poole, Butler, Allen, Gilbert, Crawford, Middlebrooks, Gates, Parks, Thompson, Alford, Favors, Guise, and related surnames.



04 October 2009

I'LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA





I'll always love my mama
She's my favorite girl
I'll always love my mama
She brought me in this world

My mother, LILLIAN MIDDLEBROOKS, was born December 7, 1916, in Woodbury, Meriwether County, GA. She passed on Sunday, September 27, 2009, at age 92. It was my birthday.

A mother's loves so special
It's something that you can't describe
It's the kind of love that stays with you
Until the day you die
She taught me little things
Like saying hello, and thank you, please
While scrubbing those floors on her bended knees


My mama was an incredible woman. As a child I did not want for anything. Yes, you would probably consider me "spoiled" as they say. As a child I took all of those things for granted; as an adult I realize they were the product of my mama’s love, devotion, and hard work-sometimes two jobs. Many years ago, I was involved in a car accident that left me paralyzed. In the years that followed, my mama was my primary caregiver. Her strength, determination, and encouragement gave me the strength, determination, and courage I needed to continue my education, graduate from college, and pursue a career. I am the person I am today because of my mama.


In 1991, my mama suffered a stroke, and our roles reversed; I was now responsible for ensuring that both of us had the care we needed to continue to live our lives in our home with minimal disruption. In dealing with the various local and state agencies I realized that now I was considered the primary caregiver for my mama. I refused to put my mama in a nursing facility, as many suggested over the years. It was not even a consideration, just as she had not considered putting me in a facility after my accident. My mama was a proud lady, and continued to do most things for herself. Despite the stroke, she was still an independent and strong woman determined not to let being confined to a wheelchair confine her spirit. I believe I possess those same qualities.


In early September 2009 my mama was hospitalized. Her health had been rapidly declining over the past few months and her dementia was also getting worse. When it was time for her to leave the hospital the doctors recommended a nursing facility and hospice care. My mama was leaving me and I could see it. She stopped eating, was barely taking any liquids, and almost never opened her eyes. Over the last two weeks, I do not think she knew I was there, or maybe she did. I pray she did. Early on Sunday, September 27, 2009, I got the call that we should plan to come as soon as possible-things were not looking good- my mama was beginning her transition. It was my birthday.


My brother Bernard by my side we sat there with my mama-waiting, crying, praying. Bernard has been and continues to be my rock and my comforter. God knew that I would need someone, and placed him in my life so that he would be here when I needed him most. Sitting there at her bedside, I had a nagging feeling that my mama needed to hear something before she could leave this world behind and claim the peace she deserved-she needed to know that her baby girl was going to be okay....and so we told her that I was fine; Bernard told her that he would take good care of me and not to worry. I told her that I was fine and that I loved her...she closed her eyes and was gone. Gone from this world, but not from my heart. My mama was an incredible woman....


(Talking 'bout mama)
Oh, she's one of a kind
(Talking 'bout mama)
You got yours, and I got mine
(Talking 'bout mama)
Hey mama, Hey mama,
My heart belongs to you
Oh, yeah
I'll always love my mama, yeah
She's my favorite girl
You only get one
You only get one, yeah
I'll always love my mama
She brought me in this world

Talking 'bout mama..


I'll Always Love My Mama



 
(I’ll Always Love My Mama, Lyrics: Kenneth Gamble / Leon Huff / Gene McFadden / John Whitehead / Victor Carstarphen. Song:The Intruders - 1973.)

9 comments:

  1. Oh I was not aware that you mother had just passed. I am so sorry to hear the news. I think the tribute you've written is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry about your loss. But you've made tremendous tribute to your mother. I'd bet she felt you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.. Your love came pouring out the pages. Thanks for sharing such a touching story. Wish it was not so late, I want to call my mom now. Will do tomorrow. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful Tribute to your Mama, they are the most important person in our lives. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Thank you for sharing and letting us in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sandra, what a beautiful tribute to your mother! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I had no idea of your situation, but may God bless and keep you and continue to bless you with the strength and perseverance that you've demonstrated thus far. You're in my prayers.

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra -

    I am sorry for your loss, and thank you for having the strength to share this with us.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and expressions of sympathy.

    I felt a need to express my feelings and thought this was an appropriate venue. My research and the genealogy community have been my refuge during this difficult time.

    Renate- I don't usually expose myself so openly; this was an exception. Not because I am trying to hide anything, but more so to avoid the usual stereotypes. I had thought to tell that story a while back, but put it off for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra,

    I was not aware that your mother had passed. Thank you for sharing this wonderful person with us. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness San! Why didn't you let me know?
    I am so sorry to hear of this -- literally, my heart breaks for you. On your birthday of all days...

    Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do, anything.

    Mothers are to be cherished. You knew that and answered the call. That alone should bring you comfort -- you were who she needed you to be.

    Call me -- please...

    Luckie.

    There are amny of us deal

    ReplyDelete